Back in February, we put up a post called “Why are we Pirates fans?” If you haven’t read it, here it is. It was basically a way to get pumped up for the 2012 season, and think about all the great memories we, as fans of the Pittsburgh Pirates, have.
Now as you know, 2012 has been unreal for the Bucs. April and May were a bit rocky, but as soon as the weather got warmer, the Pirates shot up in the standings. They were one of the best teams in the league, and it seemed like they just couldn’t lose. August has been a rough month, as the team as slipped farther and farther back in the standings. They just don’t look like the same team we saw back in July, but that’s not any reason to give up on being a fan.
Admittedly, the Pirates have been playing some pretty awful baseball lately. But if you’re one of those fans that does nothing but bash them, you’re an embarrassment to this fan base. The Bucs seemed to be on top of the world a month or two ago, but now it seems like a train wreck. There’s no reason for it to be that way. 2012 has been awesome. And no matter where the Pirates finish in the standings, there have been some great moments this year. Here are a few:
- Rod Barajas’ walk-off homer against the Nationals.
- Drew Sutton’s walk-off homer against the Astros.
- Anything Cutch has done (except in August.)
- Rod Barajas scoring from first on a bunt. And then doing it again a few weeks later.
- Watching A.J. Burnett dominate, and almost throw a no-hitter against the Cubs.
- Starling Marte taking the first pitch he saw in his ML career deep for a home run.
- Pedro’s two two-homer games in Cleveland.
- Sitting through a rain delay for over an hour when the Bucs were in Colrado, then watching Pedro tie the game with a three-run oppo shot on the first pitch back.
- A.J. striking out Hanley Ramirez and telling him to “SIT THE F*** DOWN!!!”
- Zoltan taking over Pittsburgh.
Photo from @mercerboy, or www.youtube.com/mercerboy
The list goes on and on, and you probably have your own favorite moment from this year. We’ve hit a bump in the road in August, but it’s no reason to give up and stop rooting with the same passion from June and July. September could be a crazy month if the Pirates make a playoff run, but even if they don’t, there’s still plenty of awesome Bucco moments to come.