Pittsburgh Pirates (3-6)
Milwaukee Brewers (2-7)
Friday, April 17th — 7:05 pm
Saturday, April 18th — 7:05 pm
Sunday, April 19th — 1:35 pm
PNC Park — Pittsburgh, PA
Follow us on Twitter @ForbesToFederal.
For the second straight weekend, it’s the Pirates and Brewers fighting for the bottom of the NL Central. The Bucs took two of three in Milwaukee last week, and now continue their 10-game homestand by hosting the Brew Crew this weekend.
News, Notes, Storylines
– The Brewers placed center fielder Carlos Gomez on the disabled list with a hamstring injury, so they’ll be without him for at least the next two weeks.
– Jeff Locke, originally slated to pitch Friday night, flipped start days with Vance Worley, who will get the ball instead. This is presumably designed to split up the left-handed pitchers in the rotation, with Liriano pitching in the previous game.
– Bucs’ offense hit 5-for-51 on balls in play on Tuesday and Wednesday vs. Detroit. They also haven’t drawn a walk since last weekend…
– The Pirates’ pitching staff has the third best FIP (3.19) in the National League thus far.
– From yesterday: Caminero, Melancon & Early Season Velocity Changes
What they’re saying:
“Well, the season just keeps getting worse for the Brewers. They lost 2 out of 3 to the Cardinals to bring their season record to a dismal 2-7. And as if that wasn’t bad enough Carlos Gomez who is either the best or the second best player on the team hit the disabled list with a hamstring injury.
The Pirates’s season hasn’t gone much better. In point of fact it’s gone exactly one game better in the standings as they are just 3-6. Two of those wins came against the Brewers in their recent series at Miller Park. Now the two rivals meet on the Pirates home turf in the pitching friendly confines of PNC Park. That can’t be good news for a team whose offense has struggled to get going.” – BCB
Player to Watch
Jimmy Nelson. He dominated the Pirates last week: 0 runs, 2 hits, 9 strikeouts over 7 innings in Milwaukee’s 6-0 Saturday win. He’ll take the hill in game 1 of this series, looking to set the tone for the rest of the weekend. The Bucs have been helpless at the plate recently, so they have to hope they can find a way to beat Nelson this time around.