A few Bucco links on this frigid Wednesday…
- Francisco Liriano‘s right arm injury is a broken humerus, writes Bill Brink of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. It sounds like there is a good chance he will miss the beginning of the season.
- With the addition of Liriano, the Pirates enter spring training with plenty of pitching depth.
- Gerrit Cole and Jameson Taillon made an appearance on MLB.com’s Top 10 right-handed pitching prospects list. Cole ranks 5th, and Taillon is right behind him at 6th.
- Starling Marte was named the Most Valuable Player in the Dominican Winter League finals. He went 11-21 over the course of the series, picking up at least two hits in each contest.
- John Dreker of Pirates Prospects takes a look at the pitchers that Marte was hitting against.
- Also at Pirates Prospects, Tim Williams examines where the numerous corner outfielders and first basemen fit into the Pirates’ plan.
- Jerry Sands, who is one of those corner outfielders/first basemen, has been giving hitting lessons to youth baseball players in Wendell, NC.
Only 20 days until pitchers & catchers report; 68 days until Opening Day.
Photo: RJ Schmidt/Creative Commons