After dropping a three-game series against the Phillies, the Pirates traveled out to the Windy City to meet the Cubs. Here are some highlights of Friday’s victory…
– Francisco Liriano was brilliant all day long. He went the distance, giving up two runs on four hits while striking out seven. The only blemish was a two-run home run hit by Scott Hairston in the second inning. He got the job done at the plate (1-for-3, RBI single, walk, sacrifice bunt) and also made a slick between-the-legs pick with his glove in the final frame.
– The Bucco offense really got to Jeff Samardzija: five runs on nine hits over six innings.
– Everyone in the lineup except for Jordy Mercer collected a hit on Friday afternoon, though Jordy walked three times (twice intentionally). Starling Marte (3-for-6), Garrett Jones (2-for-4), and Jose Tabata (2-for-5) enjoyed multi-hit games. The club also knocked three triples, off the bats of Neil Walker, Jones, and Tabata.
– Marte swiped two bags; Jones and Andrew McCutchen executed a first-and-third double steal that resulted in Cutch stealing home.
– ROOT reporter Robby Incmikoski was yelled at by a Wrigley Field usher while trying to interview Clint Hurdle‘s dad:
– Final: Pittsburgh 6, Chicago 2
Pirates (53-32) – Cubs (36-48)
Win: Liriano (8-3)
Loss: Samardzija (5-8)