Pittsburgh Pirates (8-11)
Cincinnati Reds (8-10)
Monday, April 21st – 7:05 pm
Tuesday, April 22nd – 7:05 pm
Wednesday, April 23rd – 7:05 pm
Thursday, April 24th – 12:35 pm
PNC Park – Pittsburgh, PA
Follow us on Twitter @ForbesToFederal.
An easily winnable series against the Brewers this weekend turned into a ugly series loss thanks to Jason Grilli‘s two blown saves and an erratic offense. Having lost eight of their last 10, the Bucs turn around with another four-game set at PNC Park. Johnny Cueto and the Cincinnati Reds are in town for the first time since the Bucs eliminated them last October.
Tuesday – Edinson Volquez (1-0, 1.71) vs. Johnny Cueto (1-2, 1.50)
Thursday – TBD vs. Tony Cingrani (1-2, 3.22)
News, Notes, Storylines
– Monday night’s game will be televised nationally on ESPN. We should be able to see it in the Pittsburgh market, too, since the Pens game will be airing on ROOT.
– Who would’ve thought we’d be looking forward to Edinson Volquez starts already? Help us.
- Despite throwing to hitters like it’s batting practice so far, Wandy Rodriguez is still penciled in for Thursday’s start.
UPDATE: Wandy has been placed on the disabled list with “right knee inflammation.” Interesting stuff. Jared Hughes has been recalled from Triple-A Indianapolis.
– Joey Votto is on fire since moving into the second spot of the Reds’ lineup, hitting .393/.541/.750.
– Billy Hamilton, who couldn’t buy a hit early on, has seven hits in his last 18 at-bats.
What they’re saying:
[quote_simple]”The Reds will look to continue their recent offensive surge against the struggling Pirates pitching staff. That includes closer Jason Grilli, who blew back-to-back saves against the Brewers the last two days. Grilli blew only two saves all of last season.” – Redleg Nation[/quote_simple]
Player to Watch
Johnny Cueto… Dominated the Pirates last week at GABP, pitching a complete game three-hit shutout, striking out 12 and walking none. Welcome back to PNC Park.
Is three out of four too much to ask for? Bucs need to get back on track. Do it.