Free agency is officially underway in Major League Baseball. The Pirates probably won’t make a big splash, but could add depth at some point this offseason. Here are a few links to get you started on this year’s ‘Hot Stove’:
– Many teams made qualifying offers to their top free agents. If the player rejects the offer and signs somewhere else, the team receives a compensation draft pick.
– Dan Haren was reportedly involved in a deal that would have sent him to the Cubs in exchange for Carlos Marmol. However, the proposed trade was called off. The Angels then declined Haren’s option, and he’s now a free agent.
– David Ortiz is close to signing a new two-year deal with the Red Sox.
– Video: MLB.com’s Jim Duquette breaks down the top free agents.
– Dave Schoenfield of ESPN.com takes a look at the top 10 storylines of the offseason.
– Stay up-to-date with MLB.com’s Hot Stove Tracker.
– You can predict where players will land with MLB.com’s Free Agent Frenzy.
Around the League:
– Major League Baseball donated $1 million for Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.
– The Astros unveiled their new uniforms.
– The Marlins hired Mike Redmond to be their new manager.
– The Dodgers may hire Mark McGwire to be their hitting coach.